Tractor and Lawn/Garden Equipment Operators
We currently have a position available to join our growing business, working across the outer northern and north-eastern semi-rural areas of Melbourne, based out of Hurstbridge.
This position has the ability to work flexibly – i.e. to start after school drop-off and/or finish before school pickup.
The duties of the role are quite varied, and include the operating of equipment (tractors, mowers, fence post driver, boom sprayer, disc seeder), lawn and garden maintenance (mowing, whipper snipping, gardening), and rural fence construction.
Nearly all of our work is outdoors and quite physically active in nature, and we work both in teams and on our own from time to time. Physical fitness, a proactive approach to solving problems, honesty and reliability are all essential.
Given the flexibility to work during school hours and school terms, the role would be a perfect fit for someone with children in school, who is looking for active work which can fit with a working parent lifestyle.
Duties and Work of the Role
Duties of the role include:
- Operating small tractors using implements such as mowers, boom spray units, spreaders, seed sowing machines, and fence post drivers.
- Undertaking basic maintenance and servicing of tractors and other equipment (i.e. greasing, checking oil levels, filling tyres, replacing filters, cleaning and preparing equipment for use, identifying faults and issues)
- Lawn care tasks such as push mowing, whipper snipping, and ride on lawn mower operation, plus gardening tasks like pruning, weeding, hedging, green waste clearing etc.
- Rural fence construction tasks like carrying timber and wire mesh around, using power tools, running out fencing wire and mesh, cutting timber, connecting fence wires and installing fence mesh etc.
- Preparing various products for our customers properties such as measuring and mixing herbicides, shoveling lime into the spreader, and lifting bags of seed and fertiliser.
- Driving 4WD vehicles on the road (towing trailers) and offroad when required
The Right Person for this Role
Your experience will include some or all of the following:
- Safely operating mobile equipment such as tractors, ride-on lawn mowers
- Previous experience working in agriculture, horticulture, landscaping, or gardens/lawn maintenance, or a similar work environment
- Experience performing basic servicing and maintenance on equipment (i.e. greasing, checking oil levels, filling tyres, replacing filters, cleaning and preparing equipment for use, identifying faults and issues)
- Experience in mixing and using chemicals for weed control
Your will be able to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Reliable, punctual and hard working
- Well presented with good communication skills
- Passion for providing high level customer service and excellent work standards
- Enjoy working as part of a team, and unsupervised
- Physically fit, and enjoy active work outdoors
- Strong commitment to safe work practices
- Current driver’s licence, with own transport to work locations
Previous experience in all of these areas is not essential, but having a desire to learn, a passion for taking care of other people’s properties, animals and safety, and an interest in a large variety of outdoor physical work is of great importance.
The ideal candidate will have a positive attitude and approach, and we can assist with the training needed to improve their skills. Other desirable criteria include:
- Experience using and taking care of powered hand tools (i.e drill, driver, circular saw, chainsaw, grinder)
- Safely using and taking care of garden and lawn equipment (push mowers, whipper snippers, hedgers)
- Comfortable working around large animals (horses, cows, alpacas) and dogs
- Experience towing large trailers on the road
What We Offer
We believe in providing our staff with the best working environment possible, and working together to deliver great outcomes for our customers.
What we offer
- A great team environment in this growing family business
- Pay rates well above industry averages
- Varied and rewarding role, working on different projects and sites
- Opportunity to further develop your skills and complete formal training
- Flexibility in working days and hours to suit school drop-off and/or pick-up, and other parental responsibilities
- All high quality tools, equipment, work-specific training, and personal protective equipment provided
Our priorities are the health and safety of our teams and the customers we serve, and making sure each customer has an exceptional experience every time. The right person for this role will share those priorities, and our core value of caring for other people and their animals.
You will need to provide your own transport to and from the work locations. We provide reimbursement when travel to work locations is greater than 20km from Hurstbridge.
To Apply or Learn More
If you’d like to learn more about the role and have a chat with us, please send us a message on Facebook, or call Jamie on 0408 432 930.
If you’d like to apply now, please fill out the form on Facebook – CLICK HERE, or if you don’t use Facebook please use the form below.
References will need to be provided upon request, and some of our clients require both police and Working with Children checks.